Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Preparing for Sailing Season 2011
Spring Pre-Launch Preparations
Page 2

Click thumbnails for a larger picture

Sunday, Memorial Day Weekend: Instead of being out sailing I spent today bringing back Chip Ahoy's hull from the dead.  The photo on the left is before polishing; on the right, after. (May 29, 2011)

See "Rescuing the Red"

I got back to scrubbing the cabin this afternoon, picking up where I left off on Friday, aft of the v-berth bulkheads. When I finished with the Pine-Sol and Scotchbrite sponge, I applied wax to everything but the center sole and horizontal surfaces that shouldn't be slippery.  (May 31, 2011)

The Origo stove, before (left) and after cleaning. I kick myself every spring for not doing this over the winter, instead of letting it sit beneath junk until spring when there is so much else to get done.  (Jun. 2, 2011)

The gas strut on Chip Ahoy's IdaSailor rudder definitely failed late last season. When I contacted IdaSailor, Joel Santarone quickly sent out the replacement parts. They have been waiting for spring.

Today I cleaned up and repaired the rudder:  Replaced the gas strut, the clam cleat and block, and its pull line. Getting that new gas strut to compress to install was a bear it wouldn't budge. I called IdaSailor, spoke with Joel; he sent me the installation "how-to" photos below.

In the end, I found the big trick was to compress the strut while it's off the rudder, sort of initially break the seal. After it compressed once (in the vertical position with a whole lot of weight and effort from above), I attached it to the rudder's bolt then used Joel's procedure below to attach the strut to the rudder head bolt.  (Jun. 3, 2011)

Above photos provided by Joel Santarone, IdaSailor/Ruddercraft

This morning I started compounding and waxing the topside by hand; trunksides, coaming, toe rail, and the chrome. The 37-year old gelcoat oxidized long ago and is embedded with what appears to be mold particles. This attention is required annually. The chrome (stanchions, pulpits, bow anchor roller, cowl vents, etc.) are spotted and discolored by a coating of saltwater residue untreated, an opportunity for corrosion to get a hold. I completed the port side late today, will attack the starboard side tomorrow.  (Jun. 4, 2011)

Before moving on to the starboard side this morning, first I took a few minutes to admire yesterday's handiwork and take a few photos. I finished up with the other side late this afternoon. Now all that remains needing this treatment is the cockpit, which I hope to complete tomorrow then start loading the boat.  (Jun. 5, 2011)

The starboard topsides, completed yesterday. This afternoon I spent a couple hours cleaning, polishing and waxing the cockpit and made a few other incidental preparations (i.e., oiling the teak motor mount pad and solar panel base, refastening the cockpit cup holders, etc.).   (Jun. 6, 2011)

Yesterday I finished cleaning and waxing the cockpit, cleaned the life ring and the five fenders, attached the new mast VHF antenna and the new backup stern pulpit VHF antenna, installed the two 12v batteries, and began loading the boat.

I've been planning to launch on Friday, but we've got a major heat wave building it's supposed to hit 100 tomorrow and Friday with high humidity. I'm checking with my launch crew buddies about what they want to do. Personally, as much as I'd like to be in the water and sailing this coming weekend (the temperature will drop back into the 70s-80s beginning on Saturday, sunny though next week), it'd be miserable spending a day in those conditions raising the mast and rigging the boat for launch.  (Jun. 8, 2011)

All loaded up and ready to go. It was a hot one today about 100 and high humidity. With the big launch day scheduled for tomorrow, it was a sweaty day of up and down the ladder tied alongside with arms full too many times to count. The severe thunderstorm watch was on target; a real nasty storm blew through this evening. [Salem News "Boater suffers fatal heart attack in storm"] Wind gusts clocked at 55 mph, lightening, and torrential downpours for half an hour. I'd just finished loading and closed up Chip Ahoy as the western sky blackened.

I wondered where the red glow in the v-berth came from, until I came to the last photos I took this afternoon:  The red in the Ullman sail bag glowing beneath the forward hatch's beam of sunlight. Wow, impressive.

Tomorrow Wally Riddle and Michael Sullivan are due to arrive at about 9:00 am. We'll trailer Chip Ahoy down to Riverhead Beach, get the mast up, then I'll spend the afternoon rigging everything. High tide is at 7 pm, 7:30 am Saturday morning. Wally and I will probably launch Chip Ahoy on the morning tide Saturday.  (Jun. 9, 2011)

     
BACK
Getting Ready for Sailing Season 2011!

Return to Top of Page