Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Season 07 is officially launched -- let the work begin!

- Page 39 -

Click thumbnails for a larger picture

Description

With the temperature holding unseasonably warm through tomorrow, when incredibly it's supposed to climb into the 80s, I decided to jump on this unexpected window of opportunity and get going on repairing last season's anchor damage to the bow.  (Apr. 22, 2007)

Go to:  Bow Fiberglass Repair Project

Today I also began replacing the VHF coax cable, lightning-struck last season.  There's no better motivation than just looking at the antenna base that used to be . . .  (Apr. 29, 2007)

Okay, first I had to get the old (sheesh, just put it in new back in '03) coax out.  But -- think first.  Thanks to my buddy Wally's suggestion, this morning I asked my neighbor Rick, an electrical contactor, about "electrical snakes."  Rick loaned me one -- and it was the perfect tool for the job!  Then I had to stop and think about my strategy.  I wrestled with getting the coax up the mast and making that right-hand turn.  Impossible.  I used strapping tape on the "snake" to secure the coax to it.  Still, I had to remove the mast head truck to pull this project off.

Once the coax was run up the mast and clear, I tied a string (with strapping tape) to the topmost part of the coax, so I could pull it back down into its exit hole and out.  Then I slowly, carefully pulled it back down into the mast.

With the snake, I was able to pull out the old coax cable and replace it with the new one, relatively easily.  I had to remove the mast head truck -- which I hoped I wouldn't need to -- but in the end, perfection.  (Apr. 29, 2007)

Today I'll be selling "Carpe Diem."  I pulled it out from behind my house yesterday, then Wally and I got it loaded, the outboard and all the other equipment that's going with it together.  This morning it was ready to hitch up and roll.  (May 1, 2007)

Michael Sullivan arrived just before 11:00 this morning as planned.  We hitched up my newer LoadRite trailer to my Blazer.  I'm loaning him the trailer until I can launch Chip Ahoy from my old one, then we'll swap.  We loaded the back of my SUV and his mini-van with the other equipment.  Surprisingly, everything fit; we were able to bring the boat and everything else up to his home in Haverhill in one trip.

Mike and "Carpe Diem," ready to roll, bring his new boat home.

My next project was replacing the old Humminbird Max15 fishfinder, damaged in last season's lightning strike, with a new Humminbird HDR 610 depth gauge.  (May 5, 2007)

See:  Replacing the Depth Gauge Project

At the end of the depth gauge project, while wiring up the gauge and its fuse, I spotted this fried wire -- the feed to the ignition key switch for my old Tohatsu outboard.  Before I realized Chip Ahoy had been struck by lightning, I'd been having problems with the old motor, so replaced it with a new Honda 8hp four-stroke for my Cape Cod cruise last summer.  Later I found some ignition wires cooked, but this one was still connected to the positive buss -- and the batteries.

This was an accident just waiting to happen:  I discovered and removed it today.  Luckily I avoided that potential disaster waiting in the wings -- caused by a useless wire with no purpose any more.  (May 8, 2007)

NEXT
It's never-ending ... but Sailing Season '07 has officially begun!

BACK TO CHIP AHOY


Return to Top of Page