Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Preparing for Sailing Season '05
The Pop Top Project - Page 2

Click thumbnails below for a larger picture


Yesterday I installed the four hatch dogs, and this morning tightened them down. Using the photos sent to me from some of the discussion list members, I drilled where I thought was appropriate according to the tape measure in one of the photos, starting with the forward port side dog. But one hole topside came out just inboard of the handrail -- the other beneath the raised runner for the sliding hatch! Fortunately, I stopped drilling when I realized the bit was going too deep, didn't drill it all the way through.  I filled in the one hole with epoxy and moved the hatch dog's inboard location an inch outboard of the handrail centerline then drilled, sealed and fastened it.  (Apr. 27, 2005)

For some reason, the diameter of the flat-head screws that came with the Catalina Direct kit were slightly larger than the holes in the  hardware, so the hardware had to be drilled out to fit. This morning I tightened down the dogs and sure enough, they pulled the pop top tight against the gasket: the gaps disappeared.

--  Back to Pop Top Page 1  --
Moving on with Season 2005 improvements
It's never-ending ... but spring has arrived at last, the projects have begun!


Return to Top of Page