Chip Ford's 1974 Catalina 22 Restoration Project
Sail #3282  l  Marblehead, Massachusetts

The never-ending project to fill my hole in the ocean while bailing it out

Season ‘08 is approaching . . .

- Page 47 -

Click thumbnails for a larger picture


For Christmas, Barbara gave me a beautiful Weems & Plath barometer -- which will go on Chip Ahoy come spring.  I've been wanting to add a barometer for some time and this one is a beaut.  (Dec. 26, 2007)

As I move ahead with the Teak Refinishing Project, my indoors project for this winter, I took a break tonight to attempt getting some photos of the full lunar eclipse, the last for the next three years.  I used my Nikon D50 digital SLR, its Tamron AF28-300mm F3.5-6.3 lens, a tripod, and a remote shutter release.  (Feb. 20, 2008)

The front porch bedecked with boat gear.  Life ring and lines hang from one wall, beneath resides the shovel, handy when needed; foul weather gear airs out on hangers, the Windex hangs upside down in the corner behind; plastic boxes beneath it contain most of the boat equipment that'll go back aboard come spring.  The rest of the boat's equipment is stored inside (electronics, new parts, teak trim this winter), wherever I can find additional room; the rudder and other cold-impervious things are stored out in the shed.  (Feb. 28, 2008)

The new PLB I ordered arrived yesterday.  In 2005 I rented an EPIRB in a Pelican case from the BoatUS Safety Foundation for my extended Maine cruise.  I planned to do so again for my upcoming cruise this summer back up the coast.  Instead, I decided to invest in one of my own rather than pay another $120 (3 weeks) rental charge plus shipping each season with nothing to show for it after.  I chose the ACR ResQFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon for its size and the fact that it can be carried on my person, clipped to my belt or lifevest -- always handy, within reach.  (Apr. 4, 2008)

-- More details -- (PDF file) --

After reading the ACR website, there is difference between EPIRBs and PLBs.  ACR warns that EPIRBs are more valuable as they're more automatic with other advantages, such as a built-in strobe light -- and floating upright.  "If you are a boater and you’ve purchased a PLB you’re ahead of most other boaters . . . but in a marine environment, it is no EPIRB!"  That concerned me enough to do a float test of my own.  Sure enough, my PLB floats, but wants to roll over -- failing to keep the antenna or GPS transponder facing the sky.  It was time to consider starting from scratch.  (Apr. 5, 2008)

-- Go to Safety Equipment to see my solution --

The weather conditions unexpectedly improved this morning with a surprisingly great forecast from today through at least Thursday; no rain in sight and warming.  Finally the day had arrived to move Chip Ahoy from the side yard to the front of the house and uncover it at last!  (Apr. 12, 2008)

See:  Uncovering Chip Ahoy for the 2008 Season!

Today began Season 2008 work on Chip Ahoy, starting with replacement of the keel cable and greasing the keel winch. My first step was to remove the keel winch handle then the panel behind it. To get the panel out of the way I had to disconnect the master switch wiring. I'm still trying to decide the best way to replace the broken, deteriorating grip on the handle.  Note the unusual set screw where the handle mounts to the winch.  (Apr. 16, 2008)

With access to the keel winch and hose, I removed the hose, the winch's drum, and the turning ball.  I replaced the old cable with a new one.  I found one "fish hook" in the old cable (ouch), but it'd been bent and flattened where the initial wraps around the drum began; I found them difficult to even untangle from the drum.

After cleaning and inspecting the turning ball (good condition still), I marine greased it along with the winch.  After remounting the drum, I reinstalled the turning ball into the "volcano,"  reattached the hose and winch panel.

See:  Cable connection to backside of drum

I moved on to the next project that needs to be completed before I can bring the boat down to the boatyard to have the repaired keel rehung:  Replacing the newly refinished teak trim so I can close up the boat.  (Apr. 16, 2008)

Continued in The Teak Trim Refnishing Project

I got the keel winch handle back from Fraser Welding yesterday.  Mike cut off the "mushroom" end retainer from the shaft (see photo above) and replaced the deteriorated plastic grip with one cut from aluminum tubing.  He drilled and tapped a 10/24 thread into the end of the handle's shaft then slid the tube over it.  (Apr. 23, 2008)

Last night I sanded the handle down to bare metal once again (see keel winch restored, 2004) then sprayed it with two coats of Rustoleum primer and another two of white enamel.  When dry, I finished with a touch of grease on the shaft and slid on the handle.  I fastened it with a 10/24 flathead finish machine screw with a dab of Locktite Blue and its finish washer over a few small fender washers as spacers, all stainless steel.  Lastly I threaded the stainless set screw back into its hole.  (Apr. 23, 2008)

The keel is repaired and hung, Chip Ahoy came home from the boatyard late yesterday, and the West Shore town docks down the street went back in yesterday too.  The launch service begins running tomorrow.  Sailing Season '08 is almost upon us!  (May 1, 2008)

It's never-ending ... so onward and forward with Sailing Season '08!


Return to Top of Page